Poul la Cour

The time after Poul la Cour

  The Museum | Restoration | Poul la Cour | Foundation | Friends | 
Sponsors
| Archive | Links | The Shop | Contact | Home

Previous     |    Back

   

The Lykkegaard wind turbine built in 1929.

  The Lykkegaard wind turbine which was built in 1929. Poul la Cour's home Askov House is in the background to the right.
 
     When he died in 1908, Poul la Cour had become well known for his inventions, as a teacher and as a promoter of electricity to the rural districts. 
     The test turbine buildings in Askov were filled with different activities and the test wind turbine delivered electricity to the local electricity plant.
     J. Th. Arnfred, who started teaching at Askov in 1900, had worked closely with Poul la Cour and continued this work after la Cour's death.
     The mission of Poul la Cour to install a wind turbine on every farm was not as popular any more. The price of electricity had dropped and alternate current had replaced direct current which made it possible for the large electricity plants in the cities to supply the rural districts.
     During World War 1, electricity became scarce and wind energy regained its popularity. But after the war the sale of wind turbines ended. The large electricity plants multiplied in numbers and the installation of alternate current electricity continued in many places.
     In 1929, the shingled test turbine burnt down and after a great deal of consideration a new type of turbine was installed - the Lykkegaard wind turbine.
     In 1935, Askov Folk High School bought the test centre from the state and because of the security of supply and an increased electricity consumption, the electricity production from both the petroleum engine and wind turbine was shut down.
 
The disassembly of the Lykkegaard wind turbine in 1968. The disassembly of the Lykkegaard
wind turbine in 1968.
 
     In the autumn of 1999, the test turbine buildings were put up for sale. Until then they had been used as classrooms for the students of the folk high school. Sponsored by the Danish wind industry, the Poul la Cour Foundation bought the buildings in March 2000 with the intention of establishing a museum.
 
The memorial stone for Poul la Cour. The memorial stone for Poul la Cour erected in the memorial park ”Skibelund Krat”.
 
Top

Previous     |    Back